Maarten Regtien (1963) started playing classical piano at the age of seven.
In 1975 he was introduced to the nearby living (province of Groningen, the Netherlands)
Canadian jazz saxofonist and composer Alan Laurillard who introduced
M. Regtien to jazz and improvisation.
During adolescence his musical taste started to grow towards 'anything new and unheard-of
before.' This period included creating prepared piano's and tape experiments many
years before he heard the music of John Cage or Brian Eno for the first time.
Favorite music in the schoolgooing years was the early psychedelic music of Pink
Floyd, The Beatles' White Album, free jazz, cool jazz, bebop, early Philip Glass
minimal music and above all master pianists Keith Jarret and Jasper Van't Hoff.
Though never heared classical music before M.Regtien started to study musicology
at the Universities of Utrecht (RU, 1982) and at the University of Amsterdam (UvA,
1983-1988) where contemporary experimental music was tought on which he in 1988
graduated with a thesis on Penderecki's "Threnos".
During his studies M.Regtien started composing classical music besides his piano
solo jazz-improvisations. The by the composer regarded first mature compositions
originated from this time ("Le Petit Nicolas" and "3 tapecompositions").
Whereas the classical music is quite 'modern contemporain' the piano improvisations
mostly dwelles in the jazz-realm.
After his studies Maarten Regtien started his carreer which encompassed work as
nurse and as pianotechnician at the wellknown Dutch Andriessen pianofirm
in Haarlem, the Netherlands. Currently Mr.Regtien is working as a Microsoft solution architect.
In the past 30 years M.Regtien has been active in:
classical music (~1987 - now)
- some eleven stringquartets
- two large orchestra works
- various ensemble and solo pieces
- various song cycles
- a lot of computer music (amongst them the cd South ° The Ernest Shackleton Endurance Expedition (1914-1917) and three cds of "Computer Manipulated
>> for all the classical compositions (scores, reading about and listening), visit Compositions
jazz (~1980 - now)
- all live recordings since 2014, all made available on YouTube: All Live Concerts
- five piano solo cds:
Music of Maarten Regtien is available on this website and on YouTube.
pop music (until ~2000)
- some 15 pop-cds were recorded for his "ModernTimes" label. The style is 'any pop style'
but always leaning towards experimental.
- Influences: Bonzo Dog Band, Frank Zappa, Beatles and the rest
- most cd's can be found under the name Asatang Onapig on YouTube. Some examples:
Contact: maarten dot regtien2 ed gmail dot com